Pupils and teacher wear coats because heating did not work during the siege of Leningrad.Continue reading Biology lesson in 7th class of the school nr. 239 (Leningrad, April 1942)
Today that education facility is called Saint Petersburg State Pediatric Medical University.
During the war, the majority of the staff remained in Leningrad. The Germans intended to destroy the building. During the siege of Leningrad, about 400,000 children remained in the city. The Wikipedia article says:
Continue reading Children wounded by the Germans (Leningrad, 1942)
Many of those children survived only because of self-sacrificing work of Leningrad’s pediatricians. To save lives of little citizens of Leningrad, there were created 18 baby formulas with soy, malt, and other components. Every day, the institute’s milk station fed more than 8000 babies. The main theme of research work changed and became closely related to the wartime. Distrophic conditions in children, vitamins deficiencies, war traumas were studied, described in monographies and PhD works. There were opened classes with studying of blood transfusion, the system of “the only pediatrician”, nutrition of healthy and sick children, and infectious diseases and classes of continuing education for state infection control and prevention controllers, district pediatricians, and school physicians. Two times a month, pediatricians of Leningrad visited clinical rounds. Moreover, the institute trained staff of factories for diseases control and prevention.
The Mayakovskaya subway station still exists and seems to have the same decorations as in 1941.Continue reading Women and children hide from German bombs in the “Mayakovskaya” subway station (Moscow, 1941)
Those residential buildings belonged to people who were suspected to have connections with guerrilla fighters.Continue reading German police puts homes of civilians on fire
Continue reading Allied War Crimes in World War II: Munich–St. Michael/Lochhausen
7-7 Parish Munich–St. Michael/Lochhausen
Reporter: Pastor Johann Baptist Wallner
Date: 31. Juli 1945
During the invasion of the American troops a lot of inhabitants were awakened by shots and hitting on the doors with rifle butts. The streets were empty. The occupation of the entire area of the parish was completed before noon. It proceeded without loss of life among the inhabitants.
In a couple of cases, women were raped.
There were many cases of destruction of furniture, plundering of jewelry, watches, clothing, money, food. Only on a few occasions did the American troop take away wedding rings, jewelry and and money. In one restaurant they took away a part of the cookware. In multiple cases radios were taken away. From the peasants, the troops demanded or took away the eggs.
The above photograph was taken by a German and later confiscated by the Soviets. The two prisoners of war were killed by the Germans according to Einsatzbefehl Nr. 8 by Reinhard Heydrich from July 17, 1941. You can find an exerpt from it below.
Continue reading Soviet prisoners of war executed according to Einsatzbefehl Nr. 8 from July 17, 1941
Directives for “selecting” civilians and suspicious prisoners of war in the eastern campaign
The Wehrmacht is ordered to “select” from the prisoners of war thefollowing groups viewed as “Bolshevist”:
“It is above all necessary to find:
* all important functionaries of the state and the party,
* in particular,professional revolutionaries,
* Comintern functionaries,
* all leading functionaries of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, and its subsidiary organizations in the central committees,
* the district and local committees,
* all peoples’ commissars and their representatives,
* all former political commissars of the Red Army,
* the leading personalities of the central and intermediate instances in the state bureaucracy,
* the leading personalities in the economic sector,
* the Soviet-Russian intelligentsia,
* all Jews,
* all persons who are deemed as stirrers or fanatical communists.”Order Nr. 8, appendix 2, from Reinhard Heydrich, Chief of Security Policeand the Security Service (SD), July 17, 1941 (excerpt)